Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Growing Pains

"Growing up" by the Urban Dictionary definition: The feeling of childhood freedoms slipping away without any warning, the loss of unstructured time for relaxation, the necessity to work to survive. The impending journey across space and time to achieve one's dream, the feeling of hopelessness when that dream is not achieved, reflection upon one's carefree childhood, longing, regret and desire for a good retirement fund and a glass o' prune juice.
"Growing up" by the Wikipedia definition:
the accumulation of changes in an organism or object over time. in humans refers to a multidimensional process of physical, psychological, and social change. Some dimensions of growing up, grow and expand over time, while others decline. Reaction time, for example, may slow with age, while knowledge of world events and wisdom may expand. Research shows that even late in life potential exists for physical, mental, and social growth and development. An important part of all human societies reflecting the biological changes that occur, but also reflecting cultural and societal conventions. Age is usually measured in full years — and months for young children. A person's birthday is often an important event. Roughly 100,000 people worldwide die each day of age-related causes.

Growing up, a very broad topic I know. I have chosen to write on this only because it is what I am currently doing. Well actually, we all are growing up whether we want to admit it or not. You
never stop growing up, you will always be learning something new that forces you to grow up to some extent.
For example: my great grandmother is 102 years old. At her age you would assume that she has seen it all WWI, WWII, Vietnam, Dessert Storm, depressions, economy's rise and falls, countless births and deaths, you name it. She even worked in a school when she was young. She was a teacher for retarded(it was the proper word in the day) girls around 1930's(I am not completely sure on the dates) in Connecticut. Learning that, you would most definitely think she has learned everything possible, right? Wrong, she still admits to learning new things and growing up at her age.

My point being it is something that we can not escape and something we can not do on our own. This is something that I have come to realize in the past month. Like everyone, I have come to some hard choices that could alter the rest of my life. I have also come to the point of getting over things and moving on with life. This is what we call "growing up." Something none of us want to do and will never want to do.

That is someone I like to call Mr. Flesh. You see, Mr. Flesh is of the world and of sin, he is someone we can not trust. In fact, he is your own personal little devil on your shoulder constantly pestering you and trying to suck you into the body. Mr. Flesh is not just of the world, Mr. Flesh is the world, the critics, and the sinners. Mr. Flesh can not be your best friend. He is the person you need to part from. But how do we do that? Simple.

"Oh, the joys of those who do not follow the advice of the wicked, or stand around with sinners, or join in with mockers. But they delight in the law of the Lord, meditating on it day and night."-Psalm 1:1-2, New Living Translation.

What that is saying is: yeah, the world seems like it is just the dreamland where everyone wants to be, but do not be deceived by the world. Do not seek the advice, help or comfort from the world because they are wicked. Instead follow the law, lean on God. Seek your knowledge, and your comfort on him and you will be rewarded.

This is what I have done. My Mr. Flesh refuses to grow up and to move on from my current situation but me, Naomi Miyazato desires it in my heart and that is what I will do. I have confronted myself and told my Mr. Flesh that "hey, I am going to do something that you do not want to do and you are going to hate me for it. Too bad, get over yourself." Then I set it straight with God, "I do not want to live with this, like this any longer. I need you because I can not do this alone and you are the only one who can get me through this. I am putting my 100 percent faith and trust into you and i will be obedient to your word." I know it is only going to get harder from that, Mr. Flesh is going to use everything he can against me, but now my challenge begins to take a leap of faith and get to business.

I challenge you to do the same. I have just started and I will be posting a blog later on with an update, but let us not worry about that right now. We can do this together with God. It is hard to do in the first place, but I already feel free from bondage and I am willing to risk it all to get back with God, free from my bondage. Will you do the same?


2 comments:

  1. Say no to Mr.Flesh! Tell him (why is your flesh a man? It should be Ms. Flesh???) there is not enough room for the both of you! I love you!

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! It just seemed to flow better and it was the first thing that popped into my head. haha.

    ReplyDelete