Thursday, January 13, 2011

This Is What Love Is

"Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never looses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance." -1 Corinthians 13:4-7, New Living Translation.

If you did not already know, that passage would be the Love Verse. I looked up the definition of "love" on Dictionary.com and I got: -noun 1.tender, passionate affection 2.strong personal liking 3.person toward whom love is felt -verb loved, loving 4.to have love (for). I quickly realized this was a terrible definition so I went on UrbanDictionary.com and this is what I got: the most spectacular, indescribable, deep euphoric feeling for someone. Yet another terrible definition. For those that do not understand my frustration I will explain. When you have a definition of something you are not supposed to use the word in the definition. Well, dictionary.com, you have failed. You used the word in the definition and you didn't tell me what love is. Urban dictionary is just a failure and a terrible source for definitions, but why I used it, you will see in a moment.

The love verse is the perfect definition of the word "love." The obvious reason is because it is straight from the bible and the bible is nothing but the truth and life. Secondly because it describes what love is, not what it feels like. And to make it better, it is the words of God the Father himself, who better than the one who's love is like any other, beyond all compare?

If any of you have noticed, on my Facebook I have added captions to certain pictures. Those captions say, "this is what love is." What most people do not understand about me when I say, "I love music" is because everyone says that. But that verse, the love verse, describes the love I have for my music. That is why I posted those captions on any photo of me playing an instrument or conducting. Not only is playing my instruments something I love to do, but it is my one-on-one time with God. I am able to relax, sit and worship the only man I love. So whenever you see that and read, "this is what love is" you can know that me playing those instruments is what love really is for me. That is the only thing on earth that I love. It is my way of expressing love to my Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment